Teens in Nature are back in Durham

So our Teens in Nature program started back up last weekend.  We have a full group again and it looks like another great group. We went up to Hill Forest and learned about the NSCU Forestry Department and how they manage the forest.  I will elaborate more on the program next week once I get the pictures uploaded.  It was a cold day, but a fun day, and I think that they learned a lot.  I learned some new things. 

Get out and enjoy this beautiful weather we are having.  My suggestion is to go out and walk around a new park and here is my suggestion, Sandy Creek park.  The location is http://g.co/maps/y9ygp and once in the parking lot there follow the paved trail that runs along the creek all the way to Pickett Rd.  You can also cross the new wooden bridge and explore a couple of wetland areas.  There is also an old road bed that you can hike on if you go across the open field towards the cell tower, once at the woods follow the road bed up the hill.  Keep following the road bed paralleling the large wetland to the left.  You will come to a second creek and at that point vere left and follow the sewer line cut back to the paved path.  Go explore.

There are lots of places to explore and maybe most interesting, lots of birds to see.  Bring your binoculars and relax by one of the large wetlands and see what you can find flying around.  Here are some pictures from the park.








If you think that you know what kind of snake this is, let me know.  I am curious to see our readers snake identification skills.  Unfortunately this snake was dead, I think that a sudden cold snap got it last year when we found it.